Thursday, April 1, 2010

Nevada BLM Seeks RAC Members

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
BLM seeking membership in resource advisory councils

The Bureau of Land Management is seeking to fill five positions on the Sierra Front-Northwestern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council.

Open positions include a representative from organizations associated with energy and mineral development; a representative from a nationally or regionally recognized environmental organization; one representative from a wild horse interest group; one representative of Indian tribes within or adjacent to the area and a representative of state, county, or local elected office.

Nominees must live in Washoe, Humboldt, Pershing, Churchill, Storey, Douglas, Lyon, Mineral and Carson City counties.

Nominations are open until May 10.

The councils help the Bureau carry out its stewardship of 253 million acres of public lands

Completed nominations for the Sierra Front-Northwestern Great Basin RAC positions should be forwarded to Mark Struble, BLM Carson City District Office, 5665 Morgan Mill Road, Carson City, NV 89701. The phone number is 885-6107. The committee holds meetings in the Carson City and Winnemucca areas.

Individuals may nominate themselves or others to serve on an advisory council. Nominations should be made on the appropriate nomination form, which is available at any BLM office, or on the internet at Nominees must be a resident of Nevada. Nominees will be selected on the basis of their training, education, and knowledge of the council's geographical area. Nominees should also demonstrate a commitment to consensus building and collaborative resource decision-making. All nominations must include letters of reference from the represented interests or organizations; a completed nomination form; and any other information that speaks to the nominee's qualifications.

The councils meet several times a year, usually quarterly, and provide advice and recommendations to the Secretary of the Interior, through the BLM district managers and the state director, on management of the public lands within the council's geographic area. It has been the practice in Nevada to hold one joint meeting of all three Nevada RACs every year.

For questions about the RACs or the application process, or to request a nomination form, contact the district offices listed above, or the Nevada State Office at (775) 861-6588.

Click on title above to the Currier article;

No comments: